In Windows 10, there are just a few options for recovering permanently lost data. This is because permanently deleted files are not available in the Recycle Bin, necessitating the usage of specialized recovery procedures.
Before we move on to the recovery section, it’s important to note that you must turn off the computer or hard drive from which you deleted the files. This step is necessary to avoid file overwriting.
If you’re looking for a means to recover permanently erased files on your Windows computer, this post will show you a few options.
In Windows, how is a file permanently deleted?
When working on a Windows 10 system, you may mistakenly hit the Delete key, causing a file or folder to be moved to the Recycle Bin. In other cases, you may delete files and folders to free up space on your hard drive for new data. In Windows, you can delete a file by pressing the Delete key or right-clicking the file or folder and selecting Delete.
As they move to the Recycle Bin, such files and folders are “temporarily deleted.” With a few clicks on Windows, you may rapidly restore deleted data from the Recycle Bin.
To free up Desktop memory by emptying the Recycle Bin, which is clogged with cumbersome shortcuts and unnecessary files. Alternatively, you might have deleted a file by pressing Shift + Eliminate and then running a system cleaner tool to permanently remove the files and directories.
Have you checked the Recycle Bin?
When you remove essential files by accident, the first place you should search is in the Recycle Bin. Unless you manually enable the Recycle Bin to clear after a particular number of days, deleted files remain in the Windows 10 Recycle Bin eternally.
Follow these steps to recover your files from the recycle bin:
- Double-click the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop to retrieve deleted files from it.
- Locate and select the deleted files. When you click their names or icons, hold down the Ctrl key to pick several files.
- Restore any selected file by right-clicking it. The selected files will be restored to their original location in an instant.
Method 1: Restore deleted files from Windows 7 option
Backup and Restore is a fantastic feature in Windows 10 that allows you to back up data and restore them as needed. So, if you’re using Windows Backup, you’ll need to check your most recent backup and restore irreversibly erased files in Windows 10.
Connect the backup storage media to your Windows 10 PC and follow these steps to restore data from a backup:
- Using the Windows logo key, open the Start menu and type Control Panel.
- Backup and restore your data by going to Update and Security >Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
- To restore lost files, go to ‘Restore my files‘ and follow the tutorial.
- If the option to ‘Restore my files‘ isn’t available, select ‘Select another backup to restore files from‘ and follow the restore sequence.
A.) How to set up the Windows 7 backup option?
Step 1: Follow the procedures in Method 1 to open the control panel.
Step 2: Now go to the Control Panel and look for the search bar in the upper right corner of the page.
Step 3: Type back up into it, and the following options will appear.
Step 6: To finish the process, follow the on-screen instructions.
Method 2: Use Command Prompt
Here are the procedures to recover deleted data from Windows 10 using the command prompt. The command prompt in Windows is a hidden treasure that can assist you in diagnosing any problem.
- On your Windows computer, open a Command Prompt.
- Press Enter after typing chkdsk ‘drive letter’ /f.
- Keep pressing Y until the command line appears again.
- Press Enter after typing the drive letter.
- Enter the following command: attrib –h –r –s /s /d *.* drive letter
The recovery procedure will now begin, and it may take a few minutes to finish. Wait and don’t do anything on your computer while the recovery process is underway.
Methos 3: Restore Previous File Versions in Windows 10
If you mistakenly erase a file with which you’ve been working, the operating system’s Restore Previous Versions tool might be really useful. This feature allows you to quickly and simply go back to a prior saved version. When Windows generates restore points, this information is saved. The instructions below will allow you to access this functionality.
- Navigate to the folder that housed the missing files before they were sent to the Recycle Bin using File Explorer.
- Select Restore prior versions from the context menu when you right-click on the item you want to recover.
- Select the file version you want to recover and then click the Restore button.
Method 4: On Windows 10, you can restore files that were accidentally deleted from a File History backup.
The security of the data stored on the computer is one of the most critical jobs for all computer users. The best method to do this is to back up your system regularly with your preferred backup tool. File History, a built-in backup and recovery feature in Windows 10, can help you restore deleted files. Users of Windows should take the time to set it up to safeguard their data on their laptops or PC.
If none of the other ways work, you can restore permanently erased files by using the file history option.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder containing the contents you wish to recover.
- Go to the Home menu, then to the History tab.
- Choose whatever files or folders you want to restore.
- Use the arrows to search through time for the version you want to recover.
- To return the file to its original place, click the Restore button.
- Replace the original file with the restored version, skip the file, or keep both for your inspection if there are any name issues.
Method 5: Recover Lost Files with the Windows File Recovery App
The Windows File Recovery software is a command-line utility that can be downloaded for free from the Microsoft Store. It allows you to recover a variety of data that have been erased by accident on your Windows 10 PC.
You can use this program to recover images, documents, movies, and other files. It can recover data from your main hard disc as well as external devices like SD cards. Before looking at third-party recovery methods, you might want to give this tool a shot. This webpage has more information on the tool.
Method 6: Recover Files from a System Image
Instead of backing up specific folders and files, the System Image backup capability backs up the whole Windows 10 operating system. Because you can’t restore individual files with this capability, it should only be used as a last option when trying to recover deleted files.
- Open the Start menu and type “settings” into the search box.
- Choose Recovery from the list of options on the left after selecting Update & Security.
- Save your work and, under Advanced startup, click the Restart now button.
- To see more recovery options, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery.
- Click Next after selecting a System Image backup file.
- Select more restore choices before moving on to the next step.
- To begin the restore procedure, review the system image information and click Finish.
Method 7: Using Third-Party Data Recovery Software, Recover Deleted Files
Even permanently erased files that the Windows 10 operating system no longer sees can be restored using third-party data recovery software apps like stellarinfo, disk drill-, or EaseUS- data recovery software.
Follow these simple steps to restore files with stellarinfo
Step 1: Go to the data recovery software’s official website and download the setup.
Step 2: Run the software after installing the setup.
Step 3: Select the individual File and all of its contents, then follow the on-screen prompts to restore the File to its original location.
Step 4: All of your files on your PC will be restored in only a few clicks. Simply wait for the recovery process to finish.
Always keep an updated backup of your vital files to avoid irreparable data loss. To create a backup, you can utilize online storage or a local drive. You may also use File History, which is a wonderful backup tool included with Windows. File History creates a shadow copy of the files and folders and saves it to an external USB or network disc.
If you want to recover files that have been permanently destroyed, start with the fundamental methods listed above. If none of them work, you should look at data recovery software like stellarinfo. In just a few clicks, it will recover all of your deleted and formatted data.
Frequently asked Questions
1.Can permanently delete files be recovered in windows 10?
It is usually possible to recover files that have recently been deleted from the Recycle Bin. However, if you’re referring to files that you deleted a long time ago, you won’t be able to recover them.
2. How can I recover deleted files in windows 10 without backup software?
You can seek deleted files in the Recycle Bin or use the File History backup function in Windows 10 to retrieve them without using the software. This can help you recover even permanently destroyed files that were overwritten a long time ago — but only if the feature was turned on before the data loss occurrence.
3. Where do my permanently deleted files go?
Even if you empty the Recycle Bin or remove files with the Shift + Delete command, all deleted files remain on the computer’s hard disc. However, you won’t be able to retrieve the deleted files normally since their hard drive location addresses have been destroyed (removed), and that space has been assigned for new use.